Glasgow Prestwick Airport Car Hire
If you are planning on driving a rent a car while you are in Glasgow please bear in mind that the police can stop you at any time, and failing to stop is a criminal offence.
If you are stopped by the police while driving they may ask you to show them your drivers' licence, insurance certificate and vehicle registration/car hire documents so make sure you carry them in the car with you.
If the police want to stop your vehicle they often use the following means to attract your attention:
- Flashing the blue lights or headlights of the police car
- Sounding the siren or horn
- Directing you to pull over to the side by pointing or flashing the left indicator of the police car
You must stop or pull over as soon as it is safe to do so, switch off your engine and do not get out of the car but wait for a police officer to come to you.
Car Hire at Glasgow Prestwick Airport
Scotland has an extensive road network with a concentration of central motorways and dual carriageways across the rest of the country.
It is a beautiful country to explore by car with so much to see and do and some breathtaking countryside. The main routes are well signposted to you should be able to navigate your rent a car around very easily.
The main routes in Scotland are:
- M8 motorway between Renfrewshire, Glasgow and Edinburgh
- M74 motorway between Glasgow, Carlisle and England
- M9 motorway between Edinburgh and Stirling
- M90/A90 between Edinburgh, Fife, Perth, Dundee, Aberdeen and Fraserburgh
- M80 between Glasgow and Stirling
- M77/A77 between Glasgow and Kilmarnock and Ayr and Stranraer
- The M80 between Glasgow and Stirling
- A1 between Edinburgh and London
- A9 in Stirling connecting to the Northlink Ferry to Stromness/Orkney
Roads in and around Glasgow become congested in peak hours. The M8 motorway which travels through the heart of the city of Glasgow becomes heavily congested in peak hours. The areas to avoid in Glasgow City Centre during rush hour is Kingston Bridge and the traffic joining the Hillington Estate and Braehead Shopping Centre near Glasgow Airport can cause tail backs.
Traffic is extremely heavy between Glasgow and Edinburgh at all times, but it rarely comes to a standstill.
You can get a free online car hire quote for your Glasgow Car Hire here
Car Hire Companies at Glasgow Prestwick Airport
Glasgow Prestwick International has six of the best known international car hire companies located within the main Arrivals hall adjacent to the domestic baggage area.
The Car Hire pick up point is located adjacent to the Terminal Building. Your car hire operator shall provide you with instructions for returning your car to the Airport at the end of your hire.