Newcastle Airport Car Hire
If you are planning to hire a car at Newcastle Airport it is advisable to pre-book your vehicle to ensure that you get the make and model you require and also save time filling in paperwork when you arrive in the UK.
Driving to and from Newcastle International Airport is very straightforward as it is situated in the heart of the North East with the A1 motorway being a principal north south road which by-passes the city centre and leads directly to the airport.
If you are travelling to or from the north of England from Newcastle Airport the A1 is the principal road linking to the dual carriageway A696 which leads directly to Newcastle International Airport. From Edinburgh, the A68/A696 provides a direct road to the airport and recent improvements to the A74 between Glasgow and Carlisle now make the journey to Newcastle International Airport even easier.
If you are traveling from the south drive North on the A1 as the road by-passes Newcastle city centre as it connects with the upgraded A696 direct to the Airport.
From the west the A69 links with the A1 and then the A696, providing a direct route to Newcastle International Airport.
If you are using GPS satellite navigation in your hire car the postcode for Newcastle Airport is NE13 8BZ.
You can get a free online car hire quote for your Newcastle Car Hire here
Car Hire at Newcastle Airport
Below are some pointers on car hire in the UK.
- You need a valid driving licence, passport/ID and a valid credit card.
- You drive on the left so remember to give away traffic from your right when using roundabouts.
- Speed limits: Motorway 112km/h(70mph), within city limits 48km/h(30mph).The speed limits on major roads can be 65km/h(40mph), 80km/h(50mph). or 96km/h(60mph) so check road signs to avoid being fined. There are speed cameras on all major roads and on some motorways. On the M25 there is a variable speed limit.
- Petrol stations sell premium, unleaded petrol (super and 95) and diesel. Many petrol stations have self-service machines taking payment by credit card. In cities it is usually possible to find a petrol station that is open 24 hours a day.
- Parking is prohibited on double yellow lines. Single yellow lines have restrictions which vary depending on the area - parking is usually only permitted after 6.30pm. Wherever possible use car parks.
- It is prohibited to use of mobile telephones while driving in the UK unless using a "hands free" unit.
Car Hire Companies at Newcastle Airport
There are four of the major car hire companies based at the airport opposite domestic arrivals on the ground floor. You can arrive and hire a car but for the best deals it is recommended to pre book if you know you are going to require a hire car.